By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Road Map to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke

A lot of education is, unfortunately, dumping immense amounts of data on students without giving them a way to "find a handle" to grasp the mass of material thrown at them.

In my own teaching of the Synoptic ("Parallel") Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, I use the theme of the New Exodus from the Prophet Isaiah to propose (not impose as exclusive or unique or infallible) a template for studying these gospels--a template rooted in the Hebrew Bible going back to the original Exodus (the "Pentateuchal Exodus"--the book of Exodus forming part of the first five books of the Hebrew Bible).

I owe my embrace of the New Exodus theme to the book by scholar Rikk Watts (see Amazon link).

Below is the image I use to illustrate my proposal for studying what I firmly believe are the most influential texts in world history.

For my own explanation of this New Exodus framework, see this link (p. 6 bottom to p. 8).

(Flowchart Image © Oswald Sobrino 2013. All rights reserved.)