By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Loyola New Orleans Gets State Funds for Chair in Catholic Studies

See link.

My native state of Louisiana is different. After all, I never heard of counties growing up. All we had were parishes, sometimes even named after saints (St. Mary, St. John the Baptist, St. Bernard, St. Helena, St. Martin, St. James, etc.). Our cultural background (at least in the southern half of the state) was French and Spanish, not Anglo-Saxon.

By the way, congratulations to my Jesuit college alma mater, Loyola University New Orleans, for celebrating 100 years as the largest Catholic university in the South in 2012, and for having survived the Katrina crisis. And how providential to celebrate this anniversary with the crowning event of the first Jesuit pope ever!

I was fortunate to be part of a cohort in an honors scholarship program that required courses in Metaphysics, in Epistemology, and in close study of a major philosopher (in my year, Heidegger). That program instilled in me a lifelong love of philosophy. The philosophy courses were required of all majors, even if you were in the business school. Without the requirements, I doubt that I would have ever taken a philosophy course on my own. After the four years honors program, we were deeply educated--probably more so than many attending elite graduate schools, certainly more than many at elite undergraduate colleges where curricular chaos reigns.

Maximas Gratias, Alma Mater!