By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Patience, History, and Endurance for Christians

Here is an interesting excerpt from a recently published Spanish language book on Pope Francis (my translation):

"Christian patience is not quietistic or passive. It is the patience of St. Paul, which requires endurance, to carry events ["history"] on your shoulders. It is the archetypal image of Aeneas, who, when Troy was burning, places his father on his shoulders--Et sublato patre montem petivi [Latin: "And, with my father having been taken up, I sought the mountain."]--he puts his history on his shoulders and proceeds to the wilderness in search of the future."

Source: El Papa Francisco: Conversaciones con Jorge Bergoglio, by Sergio Rubin & Francesca Ambrogetti (2013; at the very end of Ch. 5 in my Kindle book).

A very wise description of life and delightful to any lover of Vergil. The wilderness reference also recalls images of the Exodus (which, in my view, is the central image for understanding salvation history).

I heard this new Pope described as a mystic by someone (I do not recall where I read it). I get that same sense. It makes me recall an anecdote by an American priest who was part of a charismatic community in Spain. He remarked how one of the Spanish women in the community asserted that she was no mystic. She then went on to make an observation which the American priest found to be amazingly profound and mystical in character. Ultimately, that quality may be what sets this Pope apart.