By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Catholic=International

That's certainly one of the meanings of the rich term "Catholic." I saw it over the weekend when I attended a seminary graduation in the Midwest as a faculty member. What (better "whom") did I see? What did I hear?

1. Several Africans receiving licentiate degrees (these are ecclesiastical or church degrees midway between an American M.A. and Ph.D.);

2. The first biblical reading at the graduation Mass was in Spanish;

3. I spoke in Spanish with a Central American member of a religious order;

4. I saw a large Chaldean family happily being photographed with their son who is on the way to ordination (Chaldeans are the original Christian inhabitants of Iraq--there before someone else came along).

I am sure I missed others whose origins are also very international. But I saw enough to delightfully re-confirm that the Catholic Church is very expansive in its breadth.



(Image in public domain)