By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Friday, February 22, 2013

What You Should Do

Do Good Anyway! That is the theme of the Paradoxical Commandments penned years ago by Kent M. Keith (see link). Below is an image listing the commandments from his website.

How do I interpret these counsels? 

If you take care of your health but one of your friends smokes and engages in other self-destructive habits, should you adapt to those bad habits just to be friends? It's a no-brainer: of course not!

But we do the very same thing all of the time in other settings:

1. Everyone is hooking-up, shouldn't I?

2. My friends engage in extreme, risky, frivolous behavior. Shouldn't I?

3. Everyone seems to define success in terms of income or prestige. Shouldn't I?

4. If  I help this person, the likelihood of gratitude or genuine appreciation is slim. Just forget about them?

5. If I say or do this good thing or reach out to this person, I open myself up to possible ridicule, condescension, or even slander. Should I chicken out?

You get the message: what is healthy in you should affect the world. Don't let what is unhealthy in others keep your goodness trapped inside. They need your goodness (presented, of course, with humility, kindness, and full respect for the freedom of the other), even if they fear it or do not yet know that they need it.