By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cardinal Peter Turkson for Pope

He's African, he's an expert Scripture scholar, he knows the challenges faced by the Church. Let me be blunt. There are two challenges to Catholicism: Islam, where the frontline is in Africa; and secularism in the West and elsewhere. I do not consider Christian evangelicalism a challenge--my personal view is that Christianity has no more time for intramural disputes, if it ever did. (Of course, to be accurate, I need to mention the absolutely greatest and perennial threat to Catholicism: our own internal stupidity as we periodically and sometimes spectacularly betray the teachings of the Founder.)

Turkson will strengthen all Christians in Africa. Turkson will also--by being so different--grab the attention of many in the secular and distracted West. We need to use our catholic diversity.

The cardinals guided by prayer and much more knowledge than I could ever hope to have about the Church will make the choice, not me. But, as a Catholic, duly aware of the small extent and limits of my own knowledge, you have my pence's worth. Turkson, a cardinal for about 10 years and now working in Rome, is ready, fit, and able for this conclave and for future ones.

(Image via Wikipedia)