By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Intelligence That Counts the Most

English: Book Cover
English: Book Cover (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Columnist David Brooks has a nice column on emotional intelligence today at this link.

Now this topic does really interest me. When I myself look at people, I judge their intelligence more by temperament than by discrete skills. I find people with well-developed emotional temperaments to be more creative, more insightful, and wiser.

Most important of all, I find it a pleasure to be around them.

There is something intangible about intuition and its emotional aspects that goes to the core of insight into human situations and problems. I guess that is what generations have called practical wisdom or prudence.

This ability reminds me of what Catholic religious writers call "the ability to read souls" (whether we view it in a particular case as natural or supernatural in origin or both--in all forms and varieties, it's still a gift from God). It's an extremely valuable ability that enables us to avoid bad people, wasteful conflict, and notice the people we should really get to know and with whom we should spend our time. I can imagine this ability is also very helpful in business and politics. I think, for example, that FDR had it.


Enhanced by Zemanta