By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Cup Overflows

In a world full of complaints and criticisms and invective, let me confess that my own cup overflows. I can testify to an experience of overflowing life. I am sure many others can do the same.

So in a world where the negative is so emphasized, there are other facts on the ground: some of us are actually joyful. Does that mean we do not have doubts? Does that mean we do not have our share of frustrations? Or even our moments of anger at injustices? Of course not, but, to recall FDR, the trend line is heading upward and that is my own overall mood through the years.

As I said before, others have the same positive experience. To what is it due? Theologically, it is the life of God in us--yet not because we are better than anyone else. The opposite is more likely in my own case. My own situation seems due to the combination of an outlook of trust and of temperament (some of us are just predisposed to be happy).

If you do not have this experience, then try the path of faith. If your temperament blocks you, then associate with those having a sunny temperament and avoid those with negative temperaments until their negativity bounces off your contentment.

Postscript from FDR's Fourth Inaugural Address (Jan. 20, 1945):

I remember that my old schoolmaster, Dr. Peabody, said, in days that seemed to us then to be secure and untroubled: "Things in life will not always run smoothly. Sometimes we will be rising toward the heights—then all will seem to reverse itself and start downward. The great fact to remember is that the trend of civilization itself is forever upward; that a line drawn through the middle of the peaks and the valleys of the centuries always has an upward trend."

Source link: 
http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres52.html .