By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Social Philosophy of John Dewey

English: John Dewey at the University of Chica...
English: John Dewey at the University of Chicago in 1902. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Way back in 1983, I wrote an essay as a college student on the social philosophy of John Dewey. I was fortunate to win first place with this essay in a contest sponsored by the Center for Dewey Studies located in an Illinois university. Somehow, I hung on to the typewritten manuscript with its quaint penciled-in corrections all these years (no word processor back then). The essay is now available as a PDF at this link


Would I have expressed myself differently today? Surely. Yet, the prime value of the essay lies in its general overview of the history of Western philosophy, which should be useful for those who are philosophically inclined. I owe any worthwhile insights in the essay to my excellent philosophy professor at Loyola University-New Orleans, Dr. Sandra Rosenthal. Maximas gratias!
Enhanced by Zemanta