By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

More From C.S. Lewis' The Silver Chair

A lion being used to represent AslanImage via Wikipedia


The Silver Chair is Book 6 in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Previously, I blogged on Puddleglum. Today, I have two more thoughtful snippets.

1. A gnome recounts what happened when the gnomes in the Underworld were liberated from their enchantment by the Witch:




And everyone thinks to himself, Why, I must have been enchanted. And then everyone says to himself, I'm blessed if I know why I'm carrying this load, and I'm not going to carry it any farther: that's that. And down we all throw our sacks and bundles and tools. 

From Ch. 14, pp. 211-12.


2. Prince Rilian can relate to the newly liberated gnomes:

I have been enchanted like you and your fellows, and have but newly remembered myself.

From Ch. 14, p. 214.

Yesterday, I wrote on Genesis and on the great superiority of being good as opposed to mere knowledge of good and evil. The snippets above point to the great liberation in dropping our burdens and "remembering ourselves" anew. Our experience is indeed fallen. We know it. We are clumsily looking for a path back and behind all that is fallen and broken.

But the enchantment of the fallen condition keeps us tied down. When the enchantment is broken, we remember ourselves anew and drop all the strange and alien burdens imposed by a fallen world. The good news is that this liberation is certainly and really possible. The Gospels are the story of that liberation. In the Gospels, we remember who we really are and who we were meant to be. We find our way back.

Plato foreshadowed this liberation when he wrote about remembering what we had forgotten. A few centuries later, the veil of amnesia was lifted in the villages of Israel.