By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Comment to Ponder

Mary has left a new comment on your post "Screwtape's 5 Ways to Get People to Give Up on the...": 

Every one of your points is so well taken, and so grounded in reality. Thanks for using the word, "stupid" for it is the most accurate word for behavior and "thinking" that goes on in the human race and therefore, the Catholic Church at times. Regarding the last item, I have been visiting Catholic Churches recently trying to find a new spiritual home, and out of the six I visited, in only two did someone welcome me and ask me to coffee hour. In one particular church that held a gathering in the nave after the liturgy, I hung around waiting for the priest who must have gone out the back way. I was obviously a stranger, for it was an ethnic parish where everyone knew everyone, and I stood out like a sore thumb. People made eye contact and then looked away. I commented on this to a fellow Catholic who told me, ask and you shall receive. What? Please welcome me? I felt that they did not want a stranger in their midst. It's unbiblical as well as stupid. The message is: Stay away in droves.

I will continue to read your blog; you make a lot of sense, and that's often hard to come by nowadays.