By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Peter as First Bishop of Rome

A friend recently brought to my attention via email the latest rantings by writer Garry Wills in his quest to remake the Catholic Church to his own liking (a quest that, historically speaking, has always ended in failure; but history is, after all, the most ignored of teachers). The email reminded me that, a few years ago (2003), I had published an article refuting the contention of Wills that Peter could not have possibly been the first bishop, or any kind of bishop for that matter, of Rome. Here is the article link, with some minor typographical corrections brought to my attention by the same friend, plus some inevitable minor editing as I reread the text.