By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Guest Posting: "A Man Who Is Never at a Loss"

Below is the first guest blog I have received. Of course, as editor, I do not necessarily agree with everything that is contained in a guest blog; but I am happy to share this one and hope to share more in the future. I myself was trained by the Jesuits in New Orleans and received an excellent education, including one year of Homeric Greek and five years of Latin. Gratias sibi ago. (I hope I am recalling the Latin for "I give thanks to them," correctly!) Note: The book Jesus Interrupted mentioned below is by a prominent author whose views I do not endorse.

Oswald Sobrino, Blogger-Editor


From: a psychiatrist who learned from veterans

Was reading a piece by Megan McArdle the other day which reminded me of the proper priestly behavior of the late Henri Joubert, S.J. (deanglicizing his name) of the New Orleans Jesuit province. New Orleans usually isn't thought of as a intellectual center in the U.S. but it has been; for instance aside from the Jesuits, in pscyhoanalysis if you wanted training rather recently from Dallas you had to go to NO.

Mr. Joubert went over the first line of the Odyssey with us in Greek in the first few days of my sophomore year. Odysseus is there described as filet anthropon to do it phonetically from memory, 'a man who is never at a loss.' Without saying so, Henri, a descendant of French Catholicism embracing the activism of the Jesuits was telling us what Christ was in a new context for us, the man who, one way or another, would help us never to be at a loss. As I love Henri, I will always be of some defense to whom the Jesuits served, the Pope, and the magisterium. Also I think they do good work, but I do wish they would be more open to our considering such books as the recent Jesus Interrupted or the century old Quest of the Historical Jesus as I think they can actually help in achieving that ideal I see in Mr. Joubert's instruction.