By Oswald Sobrino, J.D.; M.A. (Econ.); M.A. (Theo.); M.L. (Master of Latin), doctoral student, University of Florida.

Monday, December 28, 2009

An Email Message from Mainland China

Dear Oswald, My Brother in the Lord,
The peace and joy in the Lord!

I believe you are doing very well as many brothers and sisters who are with their living faith to involve different ministries of the Church.

Thank you so much for your outstanding works. I do appreciate your sound knowledge on dealing with the topics. I'd like you know that the works, after some adaption with Chinese with the culture, have been used in our NE ["New Evangelization"] ministry after an adaption to our culture. They are quite popular. May God bless you continuously for your new work inspired by the Holy Spirit. Welcome to China, the vast missionary land in the harvest season!

With my thanksful heart to you and all of the friends, who have supported us for the NE ["New Evangelization"] in China, in this wonderful season I wish you and your loved ones all,

A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS

WITH SOUND HEALTH, JOY AND PEACE IN THE LORD AND

THROUGH THE COMING NEW YEAR!


Fraternally in the Lord,
Joe


Blogger Comment:

Joe is a Chinese Catholic whom I met when he was a seminarian; if he has yet to be ordained (I am not sure if he has been ordained already), he will likely be ordained soon to the priesthood. I post this message not to pat myself on the back for the "works" that he thanks me for in the email, but rather to point out to every reader that even what we may consider insignificant may be used by Adonai in good and unexpected ways far, far beyond our home turf. I believe that potential use is as true of you, Christian reader (or potential Christian reader, regardless of your current religious affiliation or lack thereof), as is true of Joe or of me.

The "works" that Joe refers to are pamphlets explaining the Catholic view of God and the Bible to people with no prior religious formation, as is commonly the case in China. If this century will be the Chinese century, then, for the sake of humanity, let it be an increasingly Christian Chinese century for the ultimate benefit and evangelization of all mankind everywhere, for the uplifting of the poor, and for the spread of respect for human dignity and human rights everywhere during this exciting century. Amen.

[The black bold print and information in brackets in the original email were added by this blogger.]